Road trip to Alberta

Headed out for a series of 1-night stops to reach Edmonton, Alberta in time for my niece, Alana's, wedding to Mike George. So Caraquet to Drummondville, Quebec took 9 uneventful hours. Next up was another 9 hours but this time dodging road construction and traffic around Montreal to reach Sudbury, Ontario. Here I came across the first of the wildlife that had a bit of a death wish - momma duck attempting to get in front of my speeding car with her brood of ducklings. Followed by a fox who rethought his plans and dipped back into the gully. Enough for one day...

Carrying on to Terrace Bay on the north shore of Lake Superior, and with wildlife redoubling their efforts. First up was a large young bull moose who hopped out of the gully not too far ahead of me. Slammed on my brakes and was greatfull when the huge transfer truck behind me slowed before hitting me. Meanwhile the moose seemed to dance across the 4 lane highway and off into the wilderness on the other side. Another fox followed, as did a hawk swooping in for a squirrel and finally a smallish deer. That was a busy 9 hours to recover from in the lakeside motel.

Then given that I was a bit ahead of schedule I drove the 11 hours to bypass the planned stop in Kenora and carry on to reach Kerry and Donna's home in Winnipeg just in time for supper and drinks as we took the evening to catch up.

Lovely sunny days in Winnipeg were filled with 1) exploration along the river in downtown Winnipeg and it's new home and condo developments. 2) a visit with Kerry's 92 year old father, Harold, at his new retirement villa (great construction and amenities located right on the bank of the river). 3) attending a performance of 'A Closer Walk with Patsy Cline' highlighting her short career and the hits she made.

Final late night after Patsy Cline - I plan to be on the road early tomorrow for my 11 hour drive to Lloydminster, overnight, then 3 hours to Edmonton.

 

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Curaçao part 2

2016 Road Trip: Saint Pierre et Miquelon

New Brunswick adventure