2018 New Zealand - Day 16-20 Wairoa and out

Boxing Day  and the next were partial work days for Sue and Megan as the Medical Clinic had to take its turn for the holiday period cover. It was lovely days however and gave me time to get more walking in. Mostly along the same river front Marine Parade that I previously did. These times going a bit further and out to where the locals were SurfCasting (fishing from the shore line out into the crashing surf waves.)
Bonnie the Havanese
Sue's lemon treeSue's lemonade tree

Other back yard photos

Aquaman

The 3 of us did go to the local Gaiety Theatre to watch Aquaman. The theatre has been lovingly restored and has widely spaced and amply sized seating. Both the screen size and the acoustics made it a great place to take in a movie. I liked the show and will see it again in 3D to see how the special effects really look.

Morere Hotsprings

Hotsprings (https://morerehotsprings.co.nz) with salt water located about 40 minutes from Wairoa. Megan had to work but Sue and I headed in to soak. I first headed out to do a bit of a hike - planning on the longer route but overnight rains had made that trail muddy, slippery, and a scramble over rapids so I turned back at did a shorter 25 minute hike. The hot springs themselves have hot, warm, and cold plunge pools. Sue and I bounced from the hot (well hottish) to the cold. We were there at a time when no young kids were in that section and not many others as well. As we were deciding it was time to head out the crowds were growing.


Wining and Dining

I am finding prices in New Zealand a bit more than in Canada but a person has got to eat and drink... 

Sue and I took in the local farmer's market and I got some local lamb loin that I had over a couple of evenings (Sue and Megan not a fan). One evening I had it with a fantastic Mt Difficulty Pinot Noir that Sue had given me for Christmas.

I also took my turn cooking again - this time Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs (real sticky sauce) with garlic mashed potatoes (Sue), and lemon garlic green beans.

Finally time to head to Napier for my flight to Christchurch. Sue and I stopped off at Elephant Hill winery hoping to get a charcuterie plate to go with a flight of wine tasting - but we lucked in as they had a late cancellation and we were able to have full lunch instead.


One last stop at the Clearview winery for a final tasting - especially of their Sea Red (a sweet red desert wine).

My flight was about 15 minutes late but the skies were clear and the headwinds no problem. Now in Christchurch.

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Curaçao part 2

2016 Road Trip: Saint Pierre et Miquelon

New Brunswick adventure