2018 New Zealand - Day 20-22 Christchurch

The sunset view from my AirBnB in Christchurch
I had been planning on heading straight to the AirBnB from the airport but while I was still in Napier I got a Facebook invitation to a little gathering that Fliss Perkins (née Probert) and her husband were having at his mom's home in Christchurch.  4 years ago Mom and I were in the city (cruise ship stop) but missed catching up by a directional mistake.  Anyway, I got there as the gathering was ending but that allowed me more time to catch up with Fliss and Chris and their new adventures in Bahrain. I also enjoyed chatting about my implant and hearing aid with their daughter, Charlotte. Their son was more interested in playing with the other young boys.  It was a lovely couple of hours talking, drinking and munching.
Fliss and me and Sauvignon Blanc

The Hut

But time moved on and I caught an Uber ride to Sumner which is where my tiny BnB was located. I knew the house was located up a pedestrian only track but it was a struggle with 2 suitcases to maneuver up the switch back path with its series of 15 or so steps. The unit itself is indeed a "hut" - sofa futon convertible into a bed along one wall, unit long counter on the other wall with 2 burner cooker, toaster, mini-fridge and outdoor bathroom.

But then there is the VIEW! Wow! And that view is from the full sized window over top the counter and just captures your attention.

Hike: Taylors Mistake & Godley Head

The next day dawned to a view of early morning surfers out catching the waves. It was not yet hot and only scattered clouds.

So after a breakfast of leftover lamb loin and coffee it was time to head out for my hike. More Flowers Track to ascend in switch back fashion took me to Nicholson Park and one of the entrances to access the headlands walk leading to Taylors Mistake.

There too were early morning surfers (or possibly lifesaver training - as I saw what appeared to be exercises going on). The hike itself covers huge elevation change - from sea level to over 300 meters. At Godley Head the walkway winds around the hill above Mechanics Bay, past the historic military buildings including the Battery Observation posts at the entrance to Lyttelton Harbour. From here it carries on the Boulder Bay / Taylors Mistake Walkway around the nose of the headland and past the Godley Battery Compound (currently closed due to earthquake damage) then down the hill to Boulder Bay where it is easy to spot where cave dwellings use to be.

I used a mountain bike track and then Summit Road to shorten my return time.












Esplanade, Beach and Groceries

It was back before noon so after a cool down shower and fresh clothes I wandered down the track to the Esplanade (ocean from walk way) and strolled the length of the surfing/boarding section of the Sumner Beach to the South African War Memorial and its mound with caves through it and then just beyond to the swimmer friendly section of the beach. Tidal differences meant that the first section has waves crashing directly onto the Esplanade at high tide, while the other end still has sand to laze on.

Loads of people were enjoying the summer holidays and were out with surfboards, boogie boards, kayaks, and simply splashing around.



Happy New Year 2019

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Curaçao part 2

2016 Road Trip: Saint Pierre et Miquelon

New Brunswick adventure