2019 New Zealand - Campervan 5 Manapouri

Although I've labeled this entry as Manapouri - that's in keeping of the location I camped that evening. In this case the entry is much more about Key Summit along the reverse of the Milford Sound Drive.
Me at Key Summit

Homer Tunnel (again) 

No one in front of me on the return so I was able to snap a photo and also pull over once on the other side for more photographs....
I'm at the head of the queue to go through the Home Tunnel

After I'd exited the tunnel and parked on the other side

Views from the parking area

Key Summit

At km 40 from Milford Sound Lodge is the pull in for The Divide. From there you can take three tracks for various destinations. I took the Routeburn Track and then from it too the side track to ascend Key Summit. It is quite an ascent covering an elevation gain of 469 meters over 4km distance. The day itself was not rainy but loads of clouds in the sky so I did not hold out much hope for views. Sure enough once I got all the way to the Morain Lake lookout with a few other hikers hanging around - still no cloud break only vague outlines in the whiteness...  So I headed down about 5 minutes work and saw and felt sun breaking through. I turned around and took 10 minutes to get back to that lookout. The clouds did not fully lift but opened up enough for panoramic views with lovely spots of blue sky between the clouds. This hike is one of my highlights from the New Zealand trip.

Side track marker (notice backpacks left by 2 hikers - more than 20 when I returned)






Manapouri

At check in a lovely grandmother with a brain was front desk. Politics was a must to discuss as she is absolutely flabergasted at who the Americans elected President - thank God I’m Canadian.
Pick my own... I got to park wherever I wanted...
The campground itself was funky and on more of what I would expect to find at backpackers accommodations. Homemade cabinets, hut like chalet units, old car collections... All very charming.




I did a brief trek around the lakeshore but I was kind of looking to simply chill for an evening...





Popular posts from this blog

2019 Curaçao part 2

2016 Road Trip: Saint Pierre et Miquelon

New Brunswick adventure