2019 New Zealand - Campervan 2 Wanaka

Let's get going - Lake Pukaki

Clear skies governed when I headed out on a lovely drive towards and then along Lake Pukaki. Along the way I passed a huge field of lavender.
Lake Pukaki under cloud cover


Lake Pukaki with storm off to the right

Field of Lavender

Lavender and windmills

Lake Pukaki with more sun - stunning water color

Lake Pukaki with more sun - stunning water color

Mt Cook - Tasman Glacier

But rain started as I approached Mt Cook ... some torrential but intermittent at Tasman Glacier. I got a bit miss-directed and ended up in the parking area for Hooker Valley track where torrential rain ruled! I sat for a bit in the car and resigned myself for backtracking. Heading out I realized I missed the Tasman Lake turnoff - but now took it. This track area was only 10 minutes away but with the geographical features here there was only an intermittent drizzle of rain!
Arctic Daisys

Tasman Glacier with icebergs

Panorama of Lake Tasman

Tasman Glacier with icebergs
Blue Lakes - now green (no longer glacier fed)

Mount Cook

Lunch at Omarama & Mom’s Lanolin

I spotted The Wrinkly Lamb as my lunch time approached. It turned out to be a very popular and busy spot. I skipped the huge lineup for food orders and only got a coffee and the express coffee line (and had with a sandwich I made). Their own shop stocked some of the products from their sheep - including Merino Lanolin Lotion (which Mom has specifically requested - buy 5 get 1 - which I did).

They advertise sheep shearing and a few bus loads pulled it to see that (NZ$25 per person). I've seen it before so passed. But before hand one of the staff demonstrated sheep herding for a small group. It is amazing seeing the dogs in action.

Lindis Pass summit 

I could feel the elevation with ears popping as I approached the road summit of the Lindis Pass. I joined a few other hardy (foolish?) people trecking a further 400 meters of elevation along a steep slippery sandy slope to reach the lower summit location (the higher one was still another 400 meters of elevation more and I was not going there!)


Wanaka

Oh my gosh the winds here in New Zealand... Also in this area the roads are truly switchback tracks. The winds stood out more once I parked and exited the car. Wanaka on Lake Wanaka is a lovely small town and also very busy with summer holidayers.

Mt campsite here, Mount Aspiring Holiday Park, was hugely more spacious than the place at Lake Tekapo. The spot was a lovely long and tree bordered grass covered flat area for only two campers.

On my first day here I walked back the 2km into the town and explored the local park area and beach front. The water temperature was quite nice but I did no more then dip my feet in.

The Wanaka Tree & Douglas Fir

A landmark in town is a tree in the lake that grew as the water level rose from what was shoreline before. It does make a pretty picture with the snow capped mountains surrounding the lake. Also nearby were huge Douglas Fir that seem to thrive here after introduction.
These guys were just before Wanaka

I'm watching you!

Douglas Fir, not native, but they grow tall

The Wanaka Tree


Waterfall Creek towards Glendhu Bay via Millennium Walkway

My morning walk fully intended to reach Glendhu Bay, but at the lakeshore viewpoint I had enough...  the hike ended up being 9.45km return to/from camp. Along the way there were several interesting viewpoints and also a fair number of close encounters with mountain bikers! The walkway was dirt but also in good repair. Most of the time I was in close proximity of the lake shore but vegetation did shade the view.


Rippon Winery 

This nearby winery - 10 minutes walking - has had an interesting review section on Trip Advisor. All I can say is that the naysayers completely lucked out. I was there shortly after the 11:00 am opening and others were already there. I was greeted immediately and joined with 2 other couples for free wine tasting of 5 of their wines. My absolute favorite was their Rippon Pinot Noir but closely followed by the white Osteiner. To top off there are gorgeous views over Lake Wanaka.



Maude Winery

I was planning on hiking out to Bremner Bay - but with 18 km already done - I chose to only head to the other local winery, Maude... This venue has a flight of 4 for NZ$10, and/or by the glass/bottle set up. I started with sparkling, tried another white and two versions of Pinot Noir. By far my choice was their EMW version - I had to stay for a glass to finish my tasting.


Bremner Bay other end boardwalk

Fully planned on doing the walk to the other end on Wanaka - but wine and the morning headland hikes cancelled that plan... In the end I hiked over 24 km today so my body thanks me for not taking in the further 12 km that would have been involved.

Onwards

Now time to leave the winds of Wanaka and pass through Queenstown on the way to a one night stop at Te Anao

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Curaçao part 2

2016 Road Trip: Saint Pierre et Miquelon

New Brunswick adventure